Friday, March 8, 2013

CHAOS OR SYMPHONY?

I'm in India on business. My daily commute to the office is an amazing symphony of chaos that is  fascinating to see. Notes spring from horns all around me; short bursts, loud blares, they emerge and subside, rise and fall. Each note plays a part in an orchestrated movement that just seems to flow.

These notes, this feedback to each other, has a meaning that surpases my understanding as an outsider to this culture.  Every note I hear and the actions that follow make me cognizant that they are indeed communicating something very important to my driver.  Something that helps ensure we achieve our goal...get to the office without getting into an accident.  I don't know the language, but I imagine its things like: "Hey, I'm here." "Too close, move right." "Coming through." It is a method of feedback that quietly (or not) facilitates this process.

I've been here meeting with managers on our new Check-In approach to performance after eliminating our annual review process last year. The Check-In is an approach requiring employees and managers to share ownership for setting clear goals, giving and receiving ongoing feedback, and  supporting employee's growth and development. It was designed to be free flowing - much like the traffic here, not rigid, and constant.

Our operations in India previously had a very elaborate grading and ranking system. It was a highly complex, formal structure that calibrated individuals against each other across the business, much like the lines drawn on the pavement separating rows of traffic.  Moving to this more free-flowing, loosely structured approach where methods and timing for goal setting and feedback were to be jointly agreed on between manager and employees was a shocking change. However, what I've realized as I've met with employees and leaders here is that this change is really not any different or more difficult than their morning commute.  In fact, it follows much of the same principles and mechanisms that get me to work safely each day.

Much like the timing and duration of the horns keep cars, bicycles, rickshaws, and pedestrians safe in the morning commute here, I'm seeing a natural flow and order emerging in this system.  Employees and managers are moving together in the same direction, communicating with differing tones and frequencies helping each other understand how to best achieve their goals. And it is working.

It takes time for new drivers to figure out this language and there is a watchfulness that is required.  However, as I listen and observe I am aware of a beautiful symphony emerging. Each instrument playing it's part. Each note is contributing to the score. It's quite fascinating to see. 

Just like my driver, each morning, I'm gaining increased confidence that despite the seeming chaos in flow of the system, we are all moving in the right direction and will arrive there safely together.  I am confident in this journey and am excited to witness the evolution.  I feel comfortable navigating this process at work, but I'm still not quite sure I'm ready to drive here.

What's the flow of communication in your organization or team that enables you to succeed?  How do you help new drivers (people) understand these methods?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment